Wednesday, October 26, 2005

DVDs are the new LPs

As the government continues to drag its feet on figuring out what to do with high-definition digital television (well, besides offering subsidies for those who have old TV sets), the battle over what will be the next generation of DVD's rages on. The trouble is, by the time it is sorted out whether HD DVD or Blu-Ray will inherit the earth, nobody is going to be using a physical format for video anymore - it will all be streaming over the internet or stored on your hard drive. So I think I'll hold off on accumulating a bunch of DVDs and get in on the next (r)evolution.

4 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Garry said...

I figure that unless you can afford a full upgrade every few years, few people will be on top of the latest technology. I am just going to try to use the stuff that will work - cds will always work, even if they are not the best format. Ditto for dvds, I think. I suppose people said that about lps, but even they still work if you can get a good turntable (and you can).

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger The Offensive Coordinator said...

true, but there are usually immense advantages to the next new technolgy. It's usually just BETTER, either in terms of quality or convenience. Try carrying around the music on your iPod on LP and get back to me. So if one can avoid getting stuck with a bunch of inferior products, it might be a wise decision.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Garry said...

Well, you certainly don't want to have "inferior" products, but I qualify those as products that break down or are not very high quality. Even if something is higher quality, it doesn't diminish the previously high quality of the other product. And yeah, I realize that having an iPod even for a week made me wonder how I did without it. I just think that we shouldn't run to the store to get the latest technology every time there's something new out there.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger The Offensive Coordinator said...

Which is basically my point, too - everyone is running to the store getting DVDs, but they're going to be obsolete soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home