Monday, June 26, 2006

Enemy of the Establishment

Oh, Jesus: Richard Morin is worried that Jon Stewart may be “poisoning democracy” by injecting young people with cynical views about politics and politicians, which may lead them to (gasp!)not bother voting. He is so, so wrong: someone being openly critical of the laughable antics of the elected officials in the swamp formerly known as Washington, D.C. is the best thing that’s ever happened to democracy. Hopefully the next generation of voters won’t swallow the crap the politicians try to feed us and will recognize the hypocrisy that emanates from their every move.

[HT: Brian Doherty at Hit & Run, who once penned a fine, inspiring screed on the upside of not voting.]

2 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Molly said...

You and I long ago discussed my disagreement with Doherty on the not voting front. Here I just wanted to point out that they called non-Daily Show news programs "'hard news' programs." That's great.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger The Offensive Coordinator said...

I'm aware of your views on voting, and I think voting is a "good thing" - but not voting is not, in my opinion, a "bad thing". When there's a candidate out there I can actually support without shivering, I'll do it. But until then, I'm not going to imply that I endorse some fool's agenda by casting a vote for them because they're not as bad as the other guy.

"Hard news", indeed. Hard to sit through, yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home