Monday, November 27, 2006

Shrouded in a Mushroom Cloud of Death

Did you know that the awesome 80's hit "99 Luftballoons" ("99 Red Balloons"), while being a really peppy-sounding song (musically), is about a nuclear holocaust? I didn't. A definite landmark in the fun music coupled with depressing lyrics rock and roll catalogue. (title ref here, although the music from this song is more sweet than fun - the lyrical twist is certainly shocking, though)

In other pop culture news, it's almost December, which means Garry should be coming out with his Top 5 Albums of 2006 sometime soon (to go with his now-revised Top 5 movies of '06) . I've already got my top 3 ready for you, Garry. As for movies, the two at the top of my almost-year-end list are "Thank You for Smoking", and "Inside Man". I'll have to think more on the others.

4 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Garry said...

I'm glad you're as excited as I am. I haven't quite narrowed my picks for cds yet, but barring any miracles in the last month (come on, Pick of Destiny!!) my movie list is set. Also, don't forget to check http://topalbums2006.blogspot.com/ soon for more lists!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Garry said...

Also, don't forget about your top five books of the year - it should be an exciting list to say the least!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger The Offensive Coordinator said...

Books that CAME OUT this year? Hmm. I don't know if I read 5 books that were actually published in '06 (despite my preference for modern writers). As you might guess, though, my math works this way: Klosterman IV is #1.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Patrick Park has some great/wrenching lyrics that provide an unsettling contrast to his lovely songs. It's the kind of thing that makes you afraid to think you know him as an artist, which then keeps you coming back for more. It's fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home