Monday, October 31, 2005

Bathe Me!

Following in the footsteps of many of the bloggers I admire, I’m going to get into the meme game:

Behold, the Caesar’s Bath meme! List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over. To use the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), “Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.”

1. Radiohead – this isn’t quite as relevant as it was a few years ago when every music magazine was proclaiming them the saviors of rock and roll and/or the greatest band in the world. But for a group that started off with a couple of pretty decent albums, they descended into a noisy world devoid of all rhythm and melody, which curiously coincided with their immense popularity amongst those with high opinions of their own taste in music.

2. Chocolate – for the millionth time, I don’t hate chocolate. I just don’t get off on it the way a lot of people (especially women) seem to. But let’s all be honest here: It’s not anywhere close to having sex, and it’s not (I presume) like a tasty form of legalized heroin. I would have said Chocolate and mint, together, but those two things are an unholy alliance that isn’t anywhere close to “nice”.

3. The beach – yeah, it can be a lot of fun if there’s good waves and you can find some personal space. But usually, it gets old pretty fast. It’s too hot, too crowded, you get sand everywhere, and you never actually go anywhere, you just sit there watching the ocean while getting a sunburn. It’s an alright way to spend a few hours, but it’s not the kind of thing I’d like to do for a week. As my dad says: life’s a mountain, not a beach.

4. Wes Anderson movies besides RushmoreRushmore was clever and quirky and funny, and that kid who played the main character was outstanding, but The Royal Tennenbaums and The Life Aquatic get way too much praise for what they are: boring, self-indulgent projects with not much going for them except they’re different than everything else. But different doesn’t equal good.

5. All-weekend-long drunkfests – I’ve had a great time at these in the past, but the feeling on day two just isn’t worth it anymore. I’ll still go away to the cabin with the guys, but I don’t have anything to prove anymore about how many beers I can drink in 36 hours. So shut up, I’m going to bed early and no, I’m not going to have beer and OJ for breakfast.

I'm sure I'll think of at least 5 better ones as soon as I post this, but these are the ones that came immediately to mind.

The tradition is to pass this along to three other bloggers, and since I really don’t know (m)any other bloggers personally, I’ll tag fellow former Huskies Garry, Hutty, and Jamie.

2 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Thanks for including me in the list! I'm actually back at the blogging bit so I shall post away! lol.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Garry said...

As you may have predicted, I disagree with you about Radiohead. I think they are doing some really neat stuff that influences some of the newer bands coming out of England lately. However, I do agree that their "experiments" test the patience a little bit. And I'm with you re: the BOJ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home