Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Harper's Honeymoon is H'over

Alright, my tentative support of giving Stephen Harper a try as PM is already being severely tested, in way that I guess we all could have predicted (and I should have been more wary of). In a speech to police chiefs (who of course have plenty of vested interests in keeping lots of things illegal, therefore giving them something to do and a justification for their budgets), Harper said that the government will not re-introduce to Parliament the marijuana de-criminalization bill conceived by the Liberals. This proposed change in policywas a sensible compromise, although it didn’t go far enough to really start changing the perverse incentives and negative consequences of the war of drugs. I do somewhat like Harper’s “tough on crime” stance from the same speech (at least when it comes to violent crime), but I’d really like it if he stuck to things that were really crimes. This is it, Steve-o: pull a stunt like this on abortion or gay marriage and I've had it.

3 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Another A for an awesome attempt at alliteration! I saw that bit o' news and thought of you.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Scott - you are the best. See I have this bad habit of never really keeping up with anything in the news or with politics (although I did for the election b/c I was determined to make a well informed voting choice.) But you never fail to keep me up to date. I just read your blog and I'm in the know!

Question - have you seen "V for Vendetta"? Becky and I went and saw it last night. Amazing. Would love to hear your take on it.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger The Offensive Coordinator said...

Answer - no, I haven't seen "V for Vendetta" yet. But the word "yet" indicates that I would like to see it at the earliest opportunity (which are sometimes few and far between with this job). I'm familiar with the story and various discussions about the movie on libertarian sites, though. I'll pass along a review when I see it. It sounds like it's my kind of thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home