Wednesday, April 05, 2006

In Praise of a Bumbling Government

As a libertarian, I am placed in a bit of dilemma with respect to government effectiveness and efficiency. On the one hand, the gross incompetence and non-stop holiday-taking of our elected officials infuriates me because of the waste of time and money that accompanies their meaningless debates (see previous post for a great example) and trips across the country. But on the other hand, a government that’s spending a bunch time on unimportant issues (or on holiday) has less opportunity to screw things up and pass laws and spend money on things they have no business getting involved in. So, do I want even want an effective, efficient government? (I think the answer is a qualified 'yes', but I can certainly see the problems with having them getting better at what they do. Because, by and large, I don't like what they do.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home