Monday, December 11, 2006

I Like My Markets Like I Like My Pepsi: Black, Bubbling, and Free From Government Intervention

Slate reviews a book that is definitely on my reading list, given my interest in black markets and anarcho-capitalist economies:

The result, Off the Books: The Underground Economy of the Urban Poor, suggests that in some American neighborhoods, the underground economy is a source not just of sustenance but of order, and that while shady transactions may be illegal, they adhere to a distinctive and sophisticated set of laws.

As the article states, it brings to mind a great old headline from the Onion: "It's Not a Crack House, It's a Crack Home".

2 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Hi Scott,
Just wanted to wish you a merry christmas. Hope you have a great holiday season and a happy new year!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Scott
Just sortof randomly found your blog. Hope you have a Merry Christmas with your parents :)
Julie BN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home