Saturday, March 04, 2006

Trigger Locks and the 3,000 Bears

Those who know me well are aware that I have special appreciation for grizzly bears, and therefore find the thought of anyone hunting them for sport pretty distasteful. In fact, I'd much prefer a hunt that went after people who hunt grizzlies. That's truly wild game! So while I believe that the present model of wildlife conversation is thoroughly misguided (i.e. the government "owns" the wildlife) and not particularly effective at maintaining wildlife populations, I was pleased with the Alberta government's decision to place a three-year moratorium on the grizzly bear hunt in that province while they try to obtain a better estimate of the bear population. If you're going to have the government managing resources, at least they should know what their dealing with. And it sounds like a potential research opportunity! Hey, I can engage in rent-seeking with the best of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home